Monday, March 31, 2008

WWE Wrestlemania 24 Results

Photobucket
(pics from WWE.com)

~WWE's 24th annual Wrestlemania event occured last night from the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Florida. This is WWE's biggest event of the year and is always good for producing a memorable moment or two, or ten. I would normally include "Monday w/ the Smart Marks" in this post, but I think Wrestlemania deserves a post by itself. I'm still pumped about the show, here's what went down:

Photobucket
-Kane wins the 24 man battle royal and earns the right to fight Chavo Guerrero for the ECW Championship later on in the show.

Photobucket
-JBL beats Finlay in a “Belfast Brawl”. A really good opener.

Photobucket
-Mr. Kennedy yells in Kim Kardashian’s face.

Photobucket
-CM Punk won the amazing Money in the Bank Ladder Match and earns the right to receive a WWE, World Heavyweight or ECW Title shot at any time within the next year.

Photobucket
-Santino Marella tries talking some more trash to Snoop Dogg, but he’s not having it and has Festus attack him. Funny stuff.


Photobucket
-Smackdown wins the Smackdown vs. Raw challenge match when Batista beats Umaga.

Photobucket
-Kane defeats Chavo Guerrero in a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it match to become the new ECW Champion.

Photobucket
-Shawn Michaels ends Ric Flair’s career by beating him in a match. This match was WAY better than I thought it would be.

Photobucket
-After the match, Flair takes one last walk to the back while receiving a standing "o" from the Orlando crowd.

Photobucket
-In the Bunnymania match, Raw Color Commentator, Jerry Lawler tries to play the hero again and punches Santino Marella when he prevents Maria from winning the match. Eventually, WWE Women’s Champion, Beth Phoenix & Melina pick up the win over Maria & Ashley Massaro.

Photobucket
-Afterwards, Snoop Dogg comes out of nowhere and clotheslines Santino Marella, kisses Maria (I thought Snoop was married) and leaves with her and Ashley.

Photobucket
-Randy Orton retains the WWE Title over Triple H and John Cena.

Photobucket
-Floyd Mayweather knocks out the Big Show with a chair and a pair of brass knuckles.

Photobucket
-The Undertaker goes 16-0 in Wrestlemania matches and defeats Edge for the World Heavyweight Title to close out the show.


I kind of wanted the Money in the Bank Ladder match to open the show but the Belfast Brawl was a surprisingly good opening, hard-hitting match, so I’m not that upset about it.


The blonde haired Shelton Benjamin was all decked out in gold last night. That man nearly killed himself in the Money in the Bank ladder match.

Speaking of Money in the Bank, that match was CRAZY~! Bodies were flying everywhere. The match continues to be a Wrestlemania highlight every year and I think this year's was the best out of the four. I was pretty shocked that Punk pulled out the win and I’m interested to see where WWE goes with this.


Why was that Kane/Chavo match so short? I actually went to go use the bathroom before Chavo made his entrance and when I came back, Kane was walking out with the ECW belt.

I was not feelin’ that robe Ric Flair had on last night. He looked like a cross between a superhero and a religious cult leader.
Photobucket

There was a point in the Michaels/Flair match where Michaels missed a moonsault from the ring and I thought he broke his ribs. He actually went for the move twice and looked to have missed both of them.


Speaking of things broken, I thought Michaels broke Flair’s jaw with Sweet Chin Music. Michaels went for that move three times.


Flair vs. Michaels was one of the surprises of the night to me. The build-up was great and I was certain that Flair's age would show and he'd drag the match down. I was glad to be wrong on that one. Eventhough he lost, witnessing Flair take his final bow sure was a sight to see.

Edge delivered an awesome promo about him as a kid watching Wrestlemania 6 and how he planned on ending the Undertaker’s undefeated streak.


Snoop Dogg clotheslining Santino Marella was hilarious. I didn’t see that coming at all.


John Cena’s Entrance!!!! That was so sick! One of my new favorite Wrestlemania entrances of all time! I used to play drums in my high school school band and I never got to play anywhere as cool as Wrestlemania.


I DID NOT expect Randy Orton to retain his title. Wow! He really came out of nowhere with that one. I thought HHH would be walking out with the belt, I guess I was wrong, again.


Big Show/Mayweather was another pleasent surprise of the night. I thought they were going to have Mayweather try and pull of wrestling moves, which would have been a mistake. Thankfully, they let Floyd do what he does best, which is punch and run, and they made Big Show lose in a way that I don't think made him lose his credibility.


I really thought the Edge/Taker match was gonna get the short end of the stick and be buried in the middle of the card, it was surprising to see them get the main event. I haven’t made up my mind if it’s a good surprise or a bad surprise yet but I thought the match was decent.

Wow, overall, a damn good show. I don’t know if it is worth $70 in HD but it was a damn good show. Match of the night for me was the Money in the Bank Ladder Match (in terms of excitement) and the Flair/Michaels match (in terms of importance and because it was Flair’s last match). I completely missed the Chavo/Kane match but I thought every other match was surprisingly solid, even the Bunnymania match which I thought was gonna be complete trash.

I've read other fan reports and have seen that people had various petty complaints about the show, like it sucked that Flair/Michaels wasn't the main event or they thought Bunnymania killed the show (the lights actually went out halfway through the match and the women were wrestling in the dark for about a minute or so).

I think sometimes, wrestling fans are so focused on finding and pointing out the negatives in everything, that they forget to sit back and be a wrestling fan instead of a wrestling critic, which leaves them never satisfied no matter how good the show is.

Anyway, I was thoroughly entertained for 4 hours and I don't think I could have asked for more.

No comments: