Monday, March 17, 2008

New 450 Splash Weekly Feature, 3/16 ROH Results

Mondays w/ the Smart Marks

~Pro wrestling is very much about the fans, so I've decided to let their votes and opinions be heard (besides my own) every Monday. Each week, I'll pose a question or topic of discussion for fans on the "Wrestling Forum" and "Wrestling Clique" message boards (wrestling fans on forums are generally referred to as "Smart Marks" or fans that enjoy pro wrestling knowing or because the events are staged) and I'll post their responses here.

This Week's Question:
How did you get into pro wrestling and why do you continue to watch?

i got into it when i was in... 3-5 grade one of those, and i continue to watch just because i enjoy it, the storylines (although dumb at times), the matches (also dumb at times) i dunno.. i just can't explain why i watch it
-A-Bomb (Wrestling Clique)

Got to be honest, the sexy divas were the reason I started watching. Bra and Panties Match and Bikini matches are attractive when puberty comes strolling around.
-Alexis Laree (Wrestling Forum)

my cousins went around talking about The Rock, so i decided to see what it was all about. and 8 years later im still a fan
-H8X (Wrestling Forum)

You really want to know?

Okay, so this kid at school gave me the Stunner....LOL. I wanted to see what that was, so I guess you could say that's how I got into it back in 1997. I didn't get hooked until Austin won the WWE Title at Wrestlemania 14. I still remember that being on the cover of the Calgary Sun the following day. As if wrestling would be on the cover of the Sun today....LOL.
-Lucifer34 (Wrestling Forum)

I’m not really sure
-CM Jobber (Wrestling Forum)

I've been watching wrestling for about 17 years now on and off. I watched from about the late 80's to about the time of Wrestlemania VIII, then stopped watching for a while. The reason for this was because I was entering Junior High school, and just had more priorities. New things like girls, school, hanging out at friends houses seemed more fun.

Around the time of 10th grade, when King of the Ring '98 was nearing (The infamous Foley vs. Taker HIAC match) my friend invited me over his house to watch the pay-per-view. I hadn't watched wrestling in years, but thought "Alright, I've got nothing else to do tonight". After watching the Attitude Era for about 3 hours on PPV, I was hooked again. This was so different from the days of "Say your prayers and eat your vitamins". Besides, it became cool once again to like wrestling in my school. Kids would talk about it in class, and I wanted to discuss it as well so I began watching RAW each week.

By the time I graduated high school and entered the second year of college or so (2002), Wrestling was taking a slide in popularity. I only watched it once in a while, and during football season I became more interested in watching "Monday Night Football" than RAW because that's what my buddies watched as well.

Nowadays, when Monday Nights come around, we play poker every week. I decided one day to turn on wrestling while we were playing, and my buddies watched in amazement. They hadn't watched it in a while either, but they enjoyed it. The next week, they asked who was fighting tonight on RAW. I turned it on once again, and we watched again. The rest is history.

We still play poker at the moment, so wrestling is usually on, unless it's football season or a Tigers game is on, then we'll flip between the two. I think if we didn't play poker, or I didn't visit this site all the time....I probably wouldn't watch wrestling anymore. It's a social thing, I guess. Sometime to talk about with your buddies and other people on here.

I enjoy wrestling, but right now the current product is stale on me. Perhaps I'll be drawn away from it for a while again, and come back to it when it gets more exciting. People say wrestling is cyclical, and I think that's right. Very few girls I know watch soap operas like "All My Children" or whatever every single time it's on. They tune in here and there, so that's normal.

So I guess that's my (not so short) answer. I watch it because it's fun, and my friends and I enjoy the storylines and the action in the ring. We like those "Holy shit" moments, and also the moments where Donald Trump and Vince McMahon are having an arguement over one another, or another fun storyline of the like.
-Jayman (Wrestling Clique)

i have watched all my life, i'm 24, but i fell in love with business and the history, from hackenschmidt vs. gotch in the early 1900's to gorgeous george, lou thesz, verne gagne, ric flair, hulk hogan, shawn michaels, austin, rock, trips, cena, the busines has save tv, broke records, and still gets a bad rap. but i love it.
-biggie2911 (Wrestling Clique)

3/16 ROH Results
Photobucket
~Ring of Honor taped their latest Pay-Per-View event, titled "Take No Prisoners", last night in Philadelphia, here's what happened:

(Pics from Scott Finkelstein)

Photobucket
-ROH Tag Team Champion, Davey Richards beats Dingo.

Photobucket
-Sara Del Ray beats Kylie Pearce.

Photobucket
-Tyler Black wins the World Title Shot Mini-Tournament by defeating Delirious, Claudio Castagnoli and Go Shiozaki in a 4-Way match.

Photobucket
-Kevin Steen defeats FIP Champion, Roderick Strong in a non-title match.

Photobucket
-Jigsaw & Ruckus (The Vulture Squad) beat Adam Pearce & BJ Whitmer (Hangmen Three).

Photobucket
-Jay and Mark Briscoe beat Joey Matthews & Necro Butcher (Age of the Fall).

Photobucket
-Bushwacker Luke beats Shane Hagadorn.

Photobucket
-Brent Albright defeats Erick Stevens.

Photobucket
-Bryan Danielson beats Austin Aries.

Photobucket
-Nigel McGuinness retains the ROH World Title after beating Tyler Black.

No comments: